When you're married to a man in the military, you know the inevitable is probably going to happen at some point or another, if he stays in long enough. And the inevitable has arrived at our doorstep: Ben is deploying. We found out last Monday and since then, it's been a whirlwind. We've got a ton of things to do and prepare for {a new baby, a house that still has a few big projects to complete, and all the other things that life throws at you} all in the midst of getting the plans laid out for before and during his absence. We're both feeling slightly overwhelmed and needless to say, a little nervous. We know he'll be safe and we know the kids and I will make it {thank goodness we now live so close to my family}, but truly, the timing of it all just plain sucks {and seriously, if one more person says, "At least the kids are young", I will choke them. Consider yourself warned.}.
Without a doubt, I'm proud of him. And, truthfully, even a little excited for him because I know this is part of the reason he wanted to career-broaden into maintenance for a tour. Accquisition guys just don't have that many opportunities to deploy and with a war that has been going on for seven years, having the little "deployment box" checked is almost necessary for promotions. But it's hard for me to imagine taking care of the Little One and a two-year-old without my best friend by my side. And it's even harder for me to imagine my Beloved being half-way across the world for such an extended amount of time.**
So please, Dear Friends, be in prayer with us: for comfort, for peace, for less anxiety and for an easy transition into different worlds for both of us.
** For safety reasons {for both him and us}, we're not exactly shouting out here on the blog when {though I'm quite sure it'll be obvious once the "farewell" post is posted}, for how long {though the lack of Ben in the pictures will again be obvious}, or to where. I will, however, send out an email update once we find out the sex of the baby that will include the specifics of his deployment. {If you were on the "Noah Update" emails, you are already on the list, but if you weren't and want to be notified, leave me a comment or send me an email... I'm make sure you're added.}
15 comments:
i'm sorry to hear this, but i'm encouraged by your great attitude! i would like to be added to your list: missjulie104@yahoo.com
You shall have to make the most of this time - working hard to prepare, but also playing and loving and making happy memories to carry you through the lonely times. I'm so glad you have family around you...can't imagine if you were is some random place very far from any family or friends.
May the time until he leaves go by very slowly!
We'll be praying for you all! And you know the sex of the baby? Can I know:)
Sam,
I know those feeling all too well!! And I share the same frustration when people say to me Ella is so young she wont even know. The truth is she already knows something is changing and she can feel the anxiety and saddness between Bill and I. I hope nothing but the best for you guys!!! Let me know if you need anything. Im sure we will be able to vent our furstrations of being a single mom and just darn missing our husbands. Everyone has told me that the first 3 weeks are the hardest and then you settle into a routine. So I am hoping they are all right! I will be praying for you, Ben and the kiddos! I got a Elmo DVD from AFRC to talk about "daddy leaving" you should go and see if they have it. I havent really looked at it, it might be a little old for Ella and Noah but its good to have for later on I suppose. And dont forget to pick up your free coupons for lots of fun stuff! Oh'right and you can have one or two free oil changes while they are gone. So I guess there are a few positives, cant beat a free oil change ;-P Lots of love and prayers!!!!
It must be somewhat exciting for Ben although I can definitely imagine it's tearing you up inside. (I know it would if it were me!) Please let us know if there's anything at all we can do to help in any way!
Thanks Ladies - I am so grateful to call you all my friends!
Julie, I've added you. :)
And Michelle, we don't know yet. My appointment is scheduled for the end of the month... but we're trying to get it moved up earlier.
I had already heard about the Elmo DVD, Kelly, and was planning on getting it. He loves SS and particularly Elmo's World, so while he might not understand everything, I think it'll be good. Good luck next month and we've been praying for him too!
Add me to the list...I will want to keep Ben and you (and the kids) in my prayers. My only deployment was a last-minute deployment and it didn't last all that long (and I was single so it was super easy to leave).
Military families deserve so much! I hope you have really good support at your base - they better take care of you!!!!
Many prayers Sam...
Oh girl...I am not sure what you say in situations like this...I know there is such a sense of pride that you have for Ben right now taht I want to say congrats and then I know your heart is tearing as you have to figure out how you say good bye for a long period of time and to that I say I am sorry and our prayers are all over you. Please make sure we are on the email list, we did get the Noah emails but just to be sure...
Let me know if you need anything!
So sorry, Samantha. tears in my eyes even as i'm reading this. i, too, am thankful you have family rather close by. know that i will be praying for all of you EVERY DAY. wish i could do more.
you have married an incredibly brave man ... and HE married an incredibly brave woman.
Oh goodness! You are right, the timing is a huge bummer and I really feel for you. Personally, kids being young and newborn make it even more difficult in my eyes. Granted, there is really never a good time to prepare them...I remember being in middle school with the thought my Dad would deploy and that was a sick feeling. I love how you point out the positive aspect of being near family...what a blessing from God to give you continued strength and support. You've had some really great posts and pictures but I sure do enjoy the ones straight from the heart that strike a chord inside me. My prayers are with you and if I was close by, I'd be giving you a hearty hug and I'd be playing with you and the kids regularly to get through. You previously mentioned a Christian Bible Study group you belong to, I would expect they will also be another gift from God. Please have Ben cling to this scripture (Joshua 1:9)...it got me through my 6-month deployment in Baghdad. Peace be with you both, dear friend.
Wow, Doll Face, all I can say is GOD has BLESSED you and Ben and Noah in countless ways, none more so in the many, many, many people who love the three(4), of you. All you have to say is "Help" and you are surrounded, protected through prayer and love. "No greater gift...."> I am amazed at your FRIENDS, all I can say is WOW. Blessings of a Great and mighty God on all of Samantha and Ben's extended family. My thanks as well.
Sam, We will keep you all in our prayers and if you need anything when you come to OKC please don't hesitate to contact me. Keep me posted with all your updates.
You can do this! It isn't easy, but you will be just fine- remember you are never really alone (not that it doesn't feel like it). Kyle has had at least 8 deployments in the last 4 years that were at least 60 to 120 days and I can tell you it never gets easier, but you will survive. I always took the opportunity to travel (to see family) while he was gone, especially when I only had 2 kids. That is how my kids are so close to my family, even while we live so far away. My kids have always traveled well and the younger you begin they adapt so well. Will he be here for the birth? Our squadron makes sure they are home for the birth. Let me know if you need anything and I am always here to talk. My email is sarahrjohnston@hotmail.com . By the way, I can't wait to hear what you are having. I love you lot's and praying for you!
Hey, let me know (if you can) where he is heading. Kyle is in Qatar and I know Laura Backlund's husband is also gone to the middle east(she is another of Krissi's high school friends). Maybe our husbands could meet, you never know- just thought I'd ask. Keep in touch. I will actually be heading to Texas at end of the month and will be heading through Abilene in June on my way from my sister in Denton to my sister in San Angelo. Maybe we could go to lunch or dinner, depending on when I am passing through. I would love to see you!
Sarah
Post a Comment