Wednesday, March 3, 2010

While You Were Out

Today at lunch, my friend April asked me if I paint a room every time Ben goes out of town.

Hmmm...... yep.
Just about.


This time though, it was just a hallway. So I had to add something else to the "to paint" list. Something like a storage bench...

that I built. all. by. myself.

{The colors are WAY off, so even though it looks totally gray, it's black... or at least that's what color it is suppose to be - it looks SLIGHTLY gray in person, to me at least.}

I'm totally in love with a new blog that I just came across: Knock Off Wood. Seriously, the woman, Ana, is AMAZING. She creates furniture plans based off of Pottery Barn, West Elm, Land of Nod and other over-priced furniture places and puts them on her blog... for free. I got the plans for this bench on her site and I'm SO pleased with the result!

Is it perfect? Heavens, no. Do I like it? Heck yes! Do I now want to build something else? YES! Something like this bed for the guest room, this storage unit for the nursery, or these bunk beds once baby #3 comes along. I'm drooling over this little "town" she's making for her daughter. And once I go back to teaching... I'd love this fun little loft bed as a reading nook.

Don't worry though, Dear One, I won't take over your garage. {Much.}


My second favorite thing about this space is the "chalkboard canvas" that I made. A wall probably wouldn't have gone over too well, but a small canvas? Perfect.

And, while we're looking at pictures of things that I made....




Pretty much perfect too.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh Ellie!! Stop being so cute when you are so far away from me!!! That smile.....
Samantha, your bench is amazing!!! I might have to give some of these plans to my dad before we move since I am not brave enough to do them myself! ;-)

Meredith said...

Great bench, good work! I love that site and am passing it on to my stepfather who loves making replicas of furniture he sees. GREAT pic of Ellie...she's so cute!!

faith buss said...

Going to that blog RIGHT NOW! Thanks for the tip. And great job! :)

Sonja said...

Oh Sam...you and faith. I'll just live vicariously through both of you. I made dinner the other night...:-)