Let's be honest:
Today was a tough day.
Every year since Ben and I have known each other, I've been able to count on one thing: that we'll be spending the Fourth of July with my family. It kinda started out as a fluke, but has grown into a tradition that none of us wanted to break. Living in Oklahoma for the July Fourths 2003-2005 made it easy {though, impossible to put photos on my blog seeing as at the time, my camera was film and I didn't have it developed onto CDs... and all my photos are in storage at the moment}.
July 4, 2006 was spent on Waikiki Beach in Hawaii. Probably my most favorite 4th. Ever.
July 4, 2007 was spent in California - partially in San Diego, partially in Los Angeles.

2008, 2009 and 2010.
It was a tough day because Ben was missing from our little group. Being able to talk to him daily has really helped, I think, with easing the separation, but on big or special occasions like today, well, seeing and talking with him on the computer just isn't the same as having him here in person.
I just keep reminding myself that he's safe. He's able to talk and see us daily. And the situation could be so different. And is, for so many military families this Fourth of July. So while I miss him and wish more than anything that he was celebrating with us today, I'm grateful. Grateful for a husband who so willingly serves. Who didn't turn away when he was asked to do this, despite the requirement of being away from us. And sacrifices for our amazing country when asked. For you, for me, for our kids. For freedom.
***
It was SO hot today. And while my car did come down from the 112 that it originally said when I got in {to a meager 104}, it. was. hot. We're on something like Day 14 of over 100 degree temperatures.

Amazingly, despite the heat, Daddy-Man worked more on the bookshelf - awesome, right?
The heat, however, was too much for us. We stayed mostly inside, playing trains, cars, and PlayDo.




No comments:
Post a Comment