Monday, July 28, 2008

Book Reviews

I totally forgot to take any pictures today and since I'm behind anyway on my "book reviews", I figure I'll take the opportunity and get them done. :)


***

When I had originally started my book list {from my goals for this year}, I had intended on reading one fiction and one non-fiction book a month... however, I figure as long as I average two books a month, it doesn't really matter if both come from the same category. So, all the books {all four} that I am about to review are from my fiction list....





The Choice by Nicholas Sparks: I'm a sucker for anything by Mr. Sparks. And, while it was as predictable as many of his novels are (set in North Carolina, near the outer banks, a romantic love story, etc.), this one took me by surprise - what I had thought was happening {i.e. a separation}, wasn't really happening and it really got me to thinking about how Ben and I would handle this particular situation, even though we have talked about it. {If you haven't read this book and plan to, stop reading here!!} It's such a tough choice: to "pull the plug" or not. And, after having read this story {however fictional it might be}, I think we've made a good choice {pardon the pun!}.




Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer: {I'm doing all three at the same time to save my energy.} So when my friend Katy first recommended this book to me, I wasn't so sure. And even when Angie read them {at Katy's recommendation}, I still wasn't sold. Don't get me wrong, I like a good vampire novel.... I read all the Vampire Chronicles {Anne Rice: Interview with a Vampire, etc.} when I was in high school. But these, well, I just wasn't convinced. AND THEN, my sisters started reading them. Who talked my mom into reading them. Which left me with no choice at all - I had to read them. And WOW. I haven't liked a series this much since I started the Harry Potter series in college!! Mrs. Meyer is a fantastic author - her simple to read and irresistible writing style makes her books hard to put down. Not to mention {and my sisters will say I told you so as soon as they read this} she makes her characters very easy to love - the male lead character, Edward, is exactly what you would expect a vampire to be and yet, still has his morals and a sense of virtue. There is so much to say about these books and yet so much that I don't want to spoil for anyone who is planning on reading them. {sigh} I can't wait until Saturday afternoon... I figure by then, one of my sisters will have finished the new book, Breaking Dawn, and I can start reading it.

No comments: