Saturday, April 4, 2009

{Almost} 16 Months

"Bittersweet." That's what I told Ben after I put Noah down for bed tonight. We've made it one week shy of 16 months... of breastfeeding. I came close to not even posting about this, but because it's been such a big part of all three of our lives for the past 16 months, I felt like it was a subject that I ought to touch on.
We knew that I was going to breastfeed, even before Noah was born {we even took the Breastfeeding course offered at Miller Children's/Long Beach Memorial... I highly recommend it!}. Saving money aside, it was important to us for many health reasons {the greatest of those being it helps decrease his risk of developing diabetes}. And because he was in the NICU, it was even MORE important to us. But being in the NICU gave us a pretty rocky start. Small victories were so important to us all at that time. Looking back now, it's almost hard for me to remember how difficult that first month was, especially now, nearly 16 months later. I know personally of Moms who, for one reason or another, give up or have to stop during that rough beginning - some feeling guilty and some feeling relieved. And I also know a Mom who is a total inspiration: who pumped the entire first year because her child was unable to eat by mouth {you know who you are and I'm SO amazed by you Friend!}. I'm grateful that I was able to provide this "head start" for Noah... and I'm glad we went longer than the planned year. I know that not all women can.
So, it's a little bittersweet... I'm just a little sad to see this part of our relationship go away, particularly because it means, like Ben said to me, that "he's becoming a big boy now". But I'm also a little happy to have my body back for a little while before the new baby arrives. And, we're hoping to make it to at least a year with this little one also.

He's definitely becoming a big boy now.

6 comments:

*Kelly* said...

Oh my goodness Sam....I couldnt have said it better myself. Ella has decided to be done breastfeeding too! We went 13 months and it was totally her call when to finish. Its so bittersweet as you said. Its funny that Ben said Noah is just being a big boy bc Bill said the same thing about Ella being a big girl now :-( I guess our babies arent babies anymore :-( hugs*

Katy said...

I'm hoping and praying everything in the nursing department goes well with my Baby #2 and yours. In fact, I may have to call you and Angie with questions because you both are the pros now and it will feel all so brand new next time! Then about a year afterwards I'll go through what you're going through now! (ending the pumping thing wasn't too hard - more just physically than emotionally. I said I'd do it for that amount of time and then my body just started decreasing anyway).

Don't you just hate that our babies are growing up? Stop it! Stop it right now boys! I mean it!:)

Unknown said...

Awww Good Job Sam and Noah!! Ethan and I are proud of both of you! :-D

Michelle Loy, MPH, MS, RD, CSSD said...

Kudos to you for sticking it out and for great reason! I felt the same...bittersweet, but I also was SO excited to have my body back. I could drink coffee again! Oh yeah, and a little wine or beer. YAY!

Shannon said...

It is really bittersweet, isn't it? I remember Shanti was 14 months old and weaned herself. I cried. Bittersweet...that's a good word for it. It's times like these that really make you want to cherish each moment.

Not too long and you will have another little baby to cuddle and nurse. :) But we've gotta let Noah grow up...*sigh*.

faith buss said...

I hear ya and love this post! Miles breastfed between 15 & 16 months and was ready to be done at that time. It was so sad for me, but it made it easier that he was ready to stop. And you will enjoy having your body for a few months...

Wait, who are we kidding? I'm not sure our minds or bodies will ever be our own again.