Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pirates and Mardi Gras

Noah loves to get dressed up in their pirate costumes... though I usually have to urge him to take off Ellie's skirt and put on his own pants. He calls himself Pirate Noah, every single time he wears the costumes. {And, sometimes "Princess Noah" when he wears Ellie's pirate skirt... but that's an issue for another day.} Today, while playing pirates and hunting for treasure with his sword and pirate hat, he REALLY wanted Ellie to dress up too.


N: "Mommy, Ellie wants to be a pirate like Pirate Noah."


M: "I think she does too. But you're wearing her skirt. Let's take it off and you can put on your pants." {Mostly pushing the issue because I'm fairly certain that the pants wouldn't fit over Ellie's cloth diapered bum.}


N: "No, Ellie wear pants. Pirate Noah wear skirt."


M: "Ellie is a girl, so she wears skirts. Noah is a big boy, like Daddy, and big boys wear pants."


N: "Pirate Noah is a big girl. Ellie wants to wear pannnnnts! Now, Mommy!!"


M {stifling a giggle at the "big girl" comment, and annoyed at the whining/demanding}: "No. You are a boy. A big boy in fact. And if you want Ellie to dress up, then you need to give her the skirt... or you can go stand in the corner for being rude to Mommy."


N: "Noah wear pants, Mommy. Pirate Noah is a big boy and wear pants."



But by then he was too upset that he had to give up the pirate skirt to continue playing pirates.


Just as well. I don't think Ellie really wanted to play pirates with him anyway.



After Ben got home {and our sweet little babysitter came over}, he and I headed over to Cypress Street Station to eat dinner with the rest of the maintenance group officers. We were celebrating the return of several of our deployed guys with Mardi Gras flair.



Col. McCready and his wife put it all together and even had a King's Cake flown in from New Orleans.



Guess who found the Baby Jesus?


And who tried to pawn it off on me?




We had a good time... even if it means I have to make a cake for everyone now!

No comments: