Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Three Year Well Child {and a CreamSlush}

Noah had his 3 Year Old Well Child Check-up today.

At 2pm.

Which, anyone who has spent any amount of time with us knows is smack. dab. in. the. middle. of. naptime. Talk about annoying.

Noah weighed in at 27.78lbs {9%}, 35.8" tall {7%}, with a head circumference of 20.87"... making him a skinny, short little guy with a big noggin. It's no wonder that he can still fit in most of the same clothes from last winter. At this rate, Ellie will catch up with him sooner rather than later.

Luckily {for me, at least}, Ben was able to come to his appointment and help wrangle kids. Ellie all but fell asleep in his arms while we waited.

Noah wasn't quite as patient. Or as lucky.


He didn't have to get any shots today, which was lucky for him. But we've been needing to get blood drawn to see if he is, in fact, allergic to cinnamon. Today was that day.

Not so lucky for Noah.

Or Mommy, who got to hold him while they stuck him. Twice. After they rooted around for what seemed like an eternity searching for his "rolled" vein, I told them to take it out and that they only had one more chance. I also promised Noah ice cream if he could be brave one more time. In between sobs and screams, he kinda said he could. As soon as the second {and, thankfully successful} try was finished, in between sniffles he told me, "Let's go Mommy. Let's go get pink ice cream."


Pink ice cream changed to blue ice cream once we got in the car. So, a Blue Coconut CreamSlush it was for the brave little boy.



Which was decorated with stickers from the lab tech during the drive home.


Buddy, you are so brave.

5 comments:

lisa said...

I'm surprised they tested because we were told that we would have to wait until he was older. We had a problem with yogurt but I think its over now.

Samantha said...

That's interesting that they wouldn't test him... I have several friends whose children have already had allergy testing due to reactions to foods and/or environmental stuff. We've actually had the test waiting at the lab for nearly a year... I've been dreading it!

Katy said...

Blood draws are no fun. I don't get worked up when the boys get shots - it takes 2 seconds and it's over before they realize it. But everytime Grant gets a blood draw, I'm nervous (trying to control it of course) and ask that only someone REALLY good at it do it on my child. Maybe it's because I have difficult veins myself and now how hard it is when they don't have immediate success, I feel for Grant when they have to root around.

Thankfully Landon was there one time when Grant got a draw at UCLA - I was pregnant, overly-emotional, and had just had my own painful blood draw recently, so when Grant starts crying I made me cry. Then when AFTER they removed it, they realized they needed more, Landon picked up Grant and said "Nope! That's enough! You'll have to make do with what you have!" So glad he was there to take charge!

Glad Noah got his ice cream for all his bravery!

Anonymous said...

I just want to cry for the poor little guy. give him a kiss from his Nana and Papa. XOXOXO

Traci Bear said...

Next time let me do it:) Poor little guy!