*** PLEASE NOTE: NOAH AND I ARE FINE!! ***
Today started out normal enough - I sent Ben off to work, did a few things around the house, and even went back to sleep for a little while. After I woke back up and got myself ready, I started getting my things together to leave the apartment to go scrapbook for the day with some of my girlfriends at a local scrapbooking store. I was on the second or third step of the stairs (inside the house!) when the doorbell rang. I quickly (probably too quickly) turned around and started back down the steps to answer the door. Somehow, I lost my footing and fell. First on my elbow and knee (I was trying to protect the belly with the other hand) and then on my very round belly. I screamed - not in pain (I wasn't hurt, really), but in fear: I've worked so hard to keep this little one safe and healthy! In tears, I open the door to the FedEx guy (the one that, ironically, I despise... long story there too) and say, "I'm 34 weeks pregnant and I just fell! I need to call my husband!" He just stands there like an idiot. Thank goodness for the lovely lady who lives just diagonal from us. She just happend to be walking by and heard me scream and heard the tears. She asked the FedEx guy if I was okay and when he didn't respond, she "pushed" him out of the way and asked me - of course I just responded with more tears. She asked him if I needed to sign for the package, and he said no and handed it to me. Thank goodness for Jennifer is all I can say! She came in and went and got my phone. We called Ben and then called my OB who told me to immediately go to Labor and Delivery... that they would be expecting me. So, we went.
By the time Ben and I got to the hospital, my stomach wasn't quite as tight feeling as it had been, but we were still a little worried... I'd only felt him kick twice since I had fell. The wonderful nurses hooked me up to the NST (non-stress test) machine and immediately we heard the most wonderful sound in the world: Noah's heartbeat. Unfortunately however, I started having mild contractions. So, I was given a shot of terbutaline (an anti-contraction medication) and after about three hours of waiting, Dr. Bickman came by to do an ultrasound. Everything with Noah looked (and is) great she said. We thought that we were going to be able to go home after she did the ultrasound, but, since I was still having contractions and had fallen directly on my belly, she wanted me stay overnight. Two doses of oral terbutaline and a second shot later, the contractions finally stopped.
Ben took this picture of me while I was in the "recovery" room before we found out we'd have to stay the night. I wasn't going to post it, but he said if I didn't, he would. And he meant it.
Let's just say I won't be answering the door for the FedEx guy for quite a while!
(And please, no comments on how I need to be more careful - I already feel bad enough and I will delete them.)
3 comments:
SO glad everything is okay!!! I can only imagine how you felt...Thank God for your neighbor...I would have been a MESS I am sure and not so smiley in the hospital bed. You are looking GREAT by the way! Keep it up only a couple more weeks to go! You can DO IT!! ~Kelly
Oh my gosh! I'm so glad you posted that you and Noah are fine right at the beginning.
I just can't imagine the absolute panic you went through. I'm so glad you had a helpful neighbor and everything is fine now.
I'm also relieved that they were able to stop the contractions.
It's amazing--in the photo you look amazingly content for going through such a serious situation :)
That's my girl! You have always been a trooper. Sam, you are an amazing young woman and you are going to be a great mom.
Love you
Post a Comment